New RMV rules can be found online HERE
Classes are held in Room: N102 - 3:00 to 7:15pm
The NRHS driver education program meets all Registry of Motor Vehicle requirements.
Our school RMV number is 9185.
THE PROGRAM consists of:
30 hours class time
- Room N102
- 3:00-7:15 pm for 2 weeks
12 hours behind the wheel driving time
6 hours observing time with a school driver ed instructor
Students must be:
- 15 years 9 months old and be academically eligible to attend
- Students are responsible for their own transportation home
- Flex bus schedules are in the main office
- Students missing any class must make it up the next month
- Classroom responsibilities must be completed before the student can schedule driving time
- Upon successful completion of the course students can get their license as early as 16 1/2 years
Parents are also expected to provide an additional 40 hours behind the wheel driving time with their child as well as attend a 2 hour information class held at the high school on the date noted on calendar of each monthly driver education class. (see calendar for dates.)
Parent info class meets in Room N102 from 6:30-8:30pm. There is no charge for this class. No sign up is required and only one parent/guardian need attend. If you have another child taking a driver ed class at a later date you do not have to attend class twice.
Students who choose not to take a certified RMV driver education course
- Must wait until they are 18 years old in order to get a Massachusetts license
COST FOR THE DRIVER EDUCATION COURSE
- $600 check payable to NRHS to Mrs. LaBranche.
- The check will reserve a seat in the class if the class is not already full. Students are enrolled on a first pay basis
- No driver education certification letters will be sent to the Registry until all classroom and student driving hours are completed
- All fees must be paid in full for student certification
- The parents class attendance must be completed for student certification
- Additional RMV costs to obtain a license
- $30 for permit
- $15 for MASS DOT driver education certificate
- Check to be given to driving instructor or Mr.Potts
- $85 before taking road test ($50 for 5 year license + $35 for appointment)
- Payment by credit card is advised on the RMV website
- Next test appointments at the RMV are opened up early on Saturday mornings. That is the best time to try to make an appointment online or by phone.
- We have 5 driver education cars
- Cars are in use all summer
- These new RMV rules can be found online HERE
- The RMV handbook is available HERE
RMV WEEKEND ROAD TESTS
AAA Driver Training Cape Cod offers Saturday Road tests once per month at a sponsorship fee of $125.00 per student.
- Once your Driver’s Education requirements are complete and your certificate of completion is on file with the Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles, contact AAA Driver Training Cape Cod to check availability of the next available Saturday Road Test.
- CALL 508-258-7052 AND MAKE SURE TO IDENTIFY YOURSELF AS A NAUSET DRIVER ED. STUDENT .
- To secure a spot the following items must be turned into our office.
- Payment of the $125 sponsorship fee. We accpt cash, checks and all major credit cards.
- A completed Road Test Application
- This form can be downloaded at: http://www.massrmv.com/forms/21844.pdf
- Please make sure we have the best phone numbers and email address in order to contact you. .
- We strongly recommend you contact the RMV pre pay phone line at 857-368-8000 prior to Wednesday the week of your test and pay all applicable RMV testing fees. The RMV notifies us the week of the test as to time frames.
- We will contact you the Thursday before the test with your assigned check in time for the road test.
- On the day of the test we will meet you at the RMV in South Yarmouth. The RMV itself is closed and we will gather in the back parking lot being the RMV office.
- Please plan on being at the test for 1 to 1 ½ hours. The will enable us to check you in, give you a 10 minute in car warm up before your road test.
Bill Rehill's Driving School in Walpole, MA is another alternative.
- Program Coordinator: E-mail with any questions and problems
- Classroom Instructor
- Driving Instructors: Students may request a specific instructor when enrolling in the first class. Otherwise students will be assigned to an instructor based on home town and instructor's student load. Any request to change instructor must be made to Dave Potts. Summer and weekend, communication with instructors should be done by e-mail.
- Geoff Leary
- Bob Cowan
- Dave Potts
- 508.255.1505 ext. 5172 (school-year only)
- 508-364-7499 (cell)
- Rob LaBranche
- Christine LaBranche
- Lise Nielsen
Students can access the RMV's website to inquire if a driver's education certificate has been issued and applied to a student record. There is no fee associated with this transaction and the RMV asks that all driving schools and students use this on-line service in lieu of calling the telephone center.
There is a link to this transaction on the RMV home page (www.mass.gov/rmv). You simply go to the On-Line Transactions section and click HERE to verify your Driver's Ed Certificate.
You will be required to provide your students license number, first and last name, and date of birth. If a certificate has been issued you will be informed of the date that the certificate has been issued and the student will be advised to call the RMV’s Telephone Center to book a road test (800-858-3926) or their driving school if the school will be sponsoring the student for their road test. If a certificate has not been issued, you will be notified that a Driver's Ed Certificate was not found on our system, and the student will be advised to contact his/her driving school.
- Geoff Leary
I love our faculty, the Principal and teachers are wonderful. We have four towns that are within our district, so we have a diversified school environment and get to know kids from other towns, not just our own.
The bad part was the lack of emotional support from the guidance counselors. The few times there was an issue, they would be of no help. If I could change anything, it would be to have the counselors be of a better help to the students.